Download the Breach Level Index 2017 Full Report Now
Get insights into breach incidents by industry, source, type, and geographic region.
According to the latest Breach Level Index report, there were 1,765 reported data breaches and over 2.5 billion compromised data records worldwide in 2017.
Other key findings include:
- More than 2.6 billion records compromised, lost or stolen in 2017, up by 88% from 2016.
- Human error a major risk management and security issue: Accidental loss caused 1.9 billion records to be exposed, a 580% increase in the number of records from 2016.
- Identity theft is still the number one type of data breach: Identity theft was 69% of all data breach incidents. Over 600 million records were impacted resulting in a 73% increase from 2016.
- Internal threats are increasing: The number of malicious insider incidents decreased slightly, however, the amount of records stolen increased to 30 million, a 117% increase from last year.
- What a nuisance: The number of records breached in nuisance type attacks increased by 560% from 2016. The Breach Level Index defines a data breach as a nuisance when the compromised data includes basic information such as name, address and/or phone number.
Download the full report today for complete insights into breach incidents by industry, source, type, and geographic region.
Download the Report Now
By submitting this form I agree to receive information from Gemalto and its affiliates as described in our Privacy statement.